Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:25:17 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.4-RCx "jumping to kernel entry" hang on Ultra1/2/30

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:13:05AM -0800, Royce Williams wrote:

> Incidentally, that "stray vector" error I mentioned at the outset is
> showing up right after the "jumping to kernel entry 0xc0040000." :
>
> stray vector interrupt 2029
>

> I have no idea if this is related in any way.

Yes, it is. Not in the obvious way, though. The patch I sent out
addresses the situation caused by the stray interrupt. That is:
console output being interrupted, followed by new console output.
The new console output is the "stray vector" text that is being
printed from the interrupt handler. One needs to be careful to
allow this to happened without depending on normal synchronisation
mechanisms.

This was (and still is on the 5.4 branch) a problem with the Z8530
only to the best of my knowledge.

One concern remains: what if the stray interrupt is the immediate
result of initializing the console and we're being interrupted
half-way through the initialization process? Console output (the
"stray vector" message) is the last thing you want to be doing
then. You first want to finish initialization. I can hack up a
patch that addresses this case if people are still having problems.
However, I'd rather that interrupts are disabled that early in the
boot process...

Anyway: It'll get fixed, one way or the other...