Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:36:14 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        gnn@freebsd.org
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eeklund@gmail.com>, d@delphij.net, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard hang on Lenovo T520

> Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:41:39 -0400
> From: gnn@freebsd.org
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> At Fri, 3 Jun 2011 23:18:39 -0700,
> Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've just tried to install 8.2 amd64 on a newly bought Lenovo T520.  This
> > hangs during keyboard probe with the last output on a verbose boot being
> >
> > kbdc: RESET_KBD return code:00fa
> > kbdc: RESET_KBD status:00aa
> >
> > This looks like the same symptoms as in
> > http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/svn-rev-197392-hangs-during-boot-td3926276.html,
> > where Xin Li had a patch to revert the use of x86bios for atkbd.
> >
> > Does this kind of thing still make sense (ie, should I try to build a new
> > install medium with that patch applied)?
> >
> > If so, is there something I can do to help make this work automatically?
> >  (I'm out of touch and haven't done much with FreeBSD for a fair number of
> > years, so I don't know what's going on development-wise.)
>
> You could also do what I originally did.  Install using a USB
> keyboard, build a new kernel with the patch, and go from there.
>
> Just make sure to turn off the AT (internal) keyboard on boot.
>
> Best,
> George

Unfortunately, I can't find anything in the BIOS setup to turn it off. I
can enable or disable the TrackPoint and the TouchPad, but that seems to
be all. 'show hint.atkbd.0.disabled' fails, so I suspect it does not
exist.

I feel like I'm in a bit of a catch-22. Any ideas beyond applying the
patch on another system and building a new release and burning it to CD?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)