Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:37:17 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [video] fxtv feedback

yuv at least the yuv format that the mpeg encoder takes as a frame:

X*Y + 2( X/2 * Y/2)

So yes in yuv 4:2:2 every pixel gets two bytes :
YU YV where U and V are chrominance values and Y is the gray component.

The RGB 16 format is very straight forward:

X*Y*2

------

example for 640x480:
yuv 422

460800 = 640*480 + 2 ( 320 * 240)
614400 = 640*480*2

The Bt848 databook has the format for various flavors of yuv so
just read up on the mpeg encoder which clearly states its
supported format for yuv.

If you are interested in yuv 422 like for the mpeg encoder, check out
this site which has a good explanation on yuv as well as other
video formats:

http://www.flash.net/~dawilson/fourcc/

----
Yes, I know about the problem with FPS and I am working on it.

	Cheers,
	Amancio