Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
To:        Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vdev/pool math with combined raidzX vdevs...

=0AHello Bob,=0A=0A--- On Tue, 7/10/12, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.da=
llas.tx.us> wrote:=0A=0A> > Am I really the only person worrying about the=
=0A> interactive failure properties of combining vdevs into a=0A> pool ?=0A=
> =0A> Yes.=A0 You are the only one.=A0 The strength of the=0A> individual =
vdev is the primary determining factor of the=0A> strength of the pool.=0A=
=0A=0AThanks for responding.  So I must be mistaken, and the failure probab=
ility of each vdev is not additive ?  As I mentioned earlier in the thread,=
 I am not a probability person, nor would I trust my own calculations if I =
tried.=0A=0ABecause if it is additive, combining vdevs erases about half of=
 the difference between raidz2 and raidz3, which I think is fairly signific=
ant.=0A=0ACan we at least agree that it's not the same as a lone vdev ?  If=
 I can destroy a vdev by blowing 4 disks in it, OR by blowing 4 disks in so=
me other vdev, that's a higher risk than if it were alone...