Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:30:32 +0100 (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Westeurop=E4ische_Normalzeit?=)
From:      Friedemann Becker <Friedemann.Becker@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Okay, I think I need some serious introduction ;-)

Hi again,

after several mails - some of them leading to the wrong direction - I
decided to dare the big step: ask for help!

FreeBSD is nice and so on, documentation is great, many ports etc, "How to
contribute" hanbook chapter and the article are good too, but still I
miss most of the point:

I feel rather helpless when surfing through the gnats database, looking
for interesting tasks I could do. Some of the projects even would look
interesting, but e.g. for ia64 I do not have the hardware, binup seems to
sleep or to be unsure what the goals of the project are - or I didn't
understand - some of the projects don't seem to belong to freebsd.org
directly (like ALTQ).

I also would like to fix things like my bugreport (kern/47512), but I just
lack of background too much, to do things like this.

It seems to me - and I think I read something like this recently - that
freebsd is low on manpower: port-related bugreports are flooding the
gnats-database, so maintainers can't keep step with it. I _really_ want to
help, I think of myself as a quite potentially usefull programmer, but I
need someones help here.

If someone could please divert my unused engergies to the right direction :)

Thanks for all the advances in fish ;-)

Friedemann