Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:33:26 -0400
From:      Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Brian Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: stuck on MD5 passwd's, host to revert to DES

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 06:14:07PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Set the value of the passwd_format login capability to "des" in
> /etc/login.conf.
>
> Brian Feldman neglected to document or mention this in the release notes
> at all, as far as I can tell. No cookie! Please fix this ASAP, Brian.

so, is the intention to have FreeBSD default to md5?

or will there be a modification to move things back to des?

the reason i ask, is that if people cvsup without seeing or noticing this,
they may not realize until too late that the new passwords are md5.

anyone using nis with non-freebsd systems might get really upset.

especially if they end up chasing around trying to figure out what
they "broke" to change the behaviour.

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim@reptiles.org              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]