Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:13:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Mike Burgett <mike@zentek.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, daeron@shadowmere.student.utwente.nl
Subject:   Re: boot crash after hardware change.

On 18 Aug, Mike Burgett wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:54:29 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>
>>BIOS crash.  I bet you configured your disk "dangerously dedicated" when
>>you installed.

It could well be that your mobo isn't running stable. The A7M266's I
know didn't out of the box.

There are known problems with the VIA686B southbridge. Unfortunately
mobo's without this chip are hard to find for AMD processor boards, and
usually have other bugs.

First the obvious stuff:

* Make sure your CPU and DDR memory can both run at 266MHz frontside
bus. You should have a CPU of revision C (or later? - it is the
rightmost character in the CPU label) and at least PC2100 memory (I'm
not sure faster memory will work OK, but it definately should not be
PC1600 memory).

* Don't overclock.

Now the less obvious:

* Turn off in your BIOS (this stops the 686B southbridge flaw):,
	PCI Delay Transaction = 0 (off)
	PCI Master Read Caching = 0 (off)
	PCI Latency = 0 (values from 0 to 32 are reported to work,
	 more doesn't!)

* Set the VIO1 jumper to 2.7V.
	My board came with that jumper set to 2.8V while the manual said
2.7V was the default. It became more stable after doing that.

* As a last meisure, you might try to clock down the FSB to 200MHz. I
didn't have to, but it may help to find out it's not a disk or OS error
you're up against.

* The SoundBlaster Live is known to amplify the problem. You may wish to
remove it (temporarily). Other DMA heavy cards may act likewise (though
notably less bad), for example 100Mbit ethernet cards.

These actions did help to make my board stable.
I have a neighbour with a newer revision who can't get it to work
properly (though I doubt he tried all of this - hmm, let's CC him).

For more details, you could try to understand the german text here:

http://pub6.ezboard.com/fultimatevhsvcd.showMessage?topicID=953.topic

--

Alban Hertroys                              http://solfertje.student.utwente.nl