Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:43:03 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Cooling CPUs (Was: the AMD factor in FreeBSD)

Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com> types:
> > G4 stil runs without heatsink - doesn't qualify as a real CPU to me.
> > end :))
> Hell, seems like a 'realer' CPU to me !  Heatsinks are when we ran out of
> ideas for making a nice core/pipeline design, so we had to increase speed by
> ramping up the clock to insane speeds.

Cooling has always been a serious problem for high-end CPUs. Cray was
a better cooling system than CPU designer.  When his cooling systems
failed, the solder in the box melted. I'm pretty sure he was also the
first person to build a liquid-cooled CPU - and he did it in
commercial quantities.

Watching the coolant drain from a 2 is a rather cool experience.

	<mike