Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2012 08:51:45 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg 7.5.2 + emacs

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com> wr=
ote:
> In message <201206230545.q5N5jvHx002690@slippy.cwsent.com>, Cy Schubert
> writes:
>> It appears that xorg 7.5.2 causes emacs to segfault. The workaround is t=
>> set emacs.synchronous: on in .Xresources.
>>
>> Another data point. I copied my $LOCALBASE from my old laptop (i915) to =
my
>> new laptop (intel hd3000), in a jail (won't bore you why). Running emacs=
 in
>> the jail and displaying to the new X server resulted in no segfault,
>> suggesting that this may be library related. Furthermore running emacs
>> under truss, without synchronous also works (probably because truss
>> inadvertently causes calls to X to be synchronous.
>>
>> If anyone is having problems with emacs under 7.5.2, the workaround shou=
ld
>> do it until a better solution is found.
>
> Disabling gconf in options circumvents the issue.
>

> --
> Cheers,
> Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
> FreeBSD UNIX: =C2=A0<cy@FreeBSD.org> =C2=A0 Web: =C2=A0http://www.FreeBSD=
.org

> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0The need of the many outweighs the greed of th=
e few.

Interesting. I run emacs regularly on 7.5.2 and I don't see this at
all. GCONF option is on. amd64 running 9.0-stable from April.
Here are my options:
    CANNA=3Doff: Canna support
     DBUS=3Don: DBus support
     GCONF=3Don: GConf support
     GIF=3Don: GIF images support
     GTK2=3Don: Use GTK+ widgets
     JPEG=3Don: JPEG images support
     M17N=3Don: M17N support for text-shaping
     MOTIF=3Doff: Use Motif widgets
     OTF=3Don: Opentype fonts support
     PNG=3Don: PNG images support
     SOUND=3Don: Sound support
     SOURCES=3Don: Install source code
     SVG=3Don: SVG images support
     TIFF=3Don: TIFF images support
     XAW=3Doff: Use Athena widgets
     XAW3D=3Doff: Use Athena3D widgets
     SYNC_INPUT=3Don: Synchronously process asynchronous input
     SCROLLBARS=3Don: Without toolkit scroll-bars
     XFT=3Don: Freetype fonts support
     XIM=3Don: X Input Method support
     XPM=3Don: XPM images support
--=20