Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 09:50:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bruce Walter <walter@biostat.sph.unc.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   SIG's 11 and 6...

Hello all!

Just thought I'd share a little interesting thing with you.

Several weeks back I remember a thread which had several people
experiencing random SIG 11's and SIG 6's for unexplained reasons (usually
during compiles for me).  The party line has been to suspect your memory
and motherboard, but I have actually found another possible culprit:

HEAT! My pentium 120 was having the above problems.  Switching out memory
would solve them for a day or two, but the problems would then start to
build up again.  FINALLY I replaced the CPU fan and added a big waffle fan
in the front of the case and VOILA...  No more SIG's for the last week.
Chances are that in the past the time involved in cracking the case and
swapping memory dropped the temp enough to alleviate the problem.

- Bruce

|| Bruce Walter                   || CB #7400 McGavran-Greenberg Hall ||
|| Information Technology Support || Chapel Hill, NC  27599-7400      ||
|| Department of Biostatistics    || Tel: 919-966-7279                ||
|| University of North Carolina   || Fax: 919-966-3804                ||
||       BSD Unix -- It's not just a job, it's a way of life!         ||