Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 12:12:53 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrey Lavrentyev <lavr@glommy.jinr.dubna.su>
To:        maher@azstarnet.com (maher katbah)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Xwindow

maher katbah wrote...

> Hi:
>
>  I installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 over 6 times now, trying to run X windows but I
> can't.
>  or should I say I don't know how, I have a book for linux and it shows that
>  you can start X window by simply typing startx after configering the Xconfig
> file. I added the /usr/X11R6/bin in the path. I moved to that directory and
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^- where? if in current session than do
rehash or csh startx.
 add /usr/X11R6/bin to your .cshrc-path or to dot.cshrc at skel directory
(for all your users)

> all what I get is "startx: command not found" even though the is right
> there. please help me or at
ls -la /usr/X11/bin/startx (I have symbolic link X11 -> X11R6

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  bin  1454 May  9 04:00 /usr/X11/bin/startx
^^^^^^^^^^
If you can't run startx then try to run xdm
 See ttys, for starting X you must have one "off secure" ttyvX entry.

>  least let me know where I can get help also if thers is an existing book for
> FREEBSD let me know
see /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc
INSTALL
README