Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 00:59:46 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        alain@Wit401402.student.utwente.nl, current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Of slices and boot code..

> They seem to be quite consistent.  BSD partitions are named partitions
> and DOS partitions are named slices.  The native partitions have to be
> named partitions for political reasons and the foreign partitions have
> to be named something different to avoid confusion.

Well, perhaps we can indeed do something about this even so..

What if a "slice" referred only to an MBR entry, e.g. one of the 4
entries configured by the fdisk editor - sd0s1, sd0s2 and so on.

A "partition" always referred to a subsection of a slice (a slice of a
slice?  gah!), that is something modified by the disklabel editor -
sd0s1a, sd0s2d and so on.

Note that this would hold true even for extended DOS partitions and
such - there would be no distinction drawn for "BSD partitions" and
any other subsectioning of a slice.

Once we get a working ext2fs we'll only have the situation complicated
even further as people want to deal with their "Linux slice" as a set
of "Linux partitions".  Drawing a clear line now will only make our
lives easier then.

As I said before, the compatibility slice only complicates things
since it introduces these hybrid "sd0a" sorts of names and mixes
them in among the "real" partition names.  On my own system you see:

Filesystem    512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a          59454    30724    23972    56%    /
/dev/sd0s2e      2980222  2204714   537090    80%    /usr
/dev/sd0s2f      4357562   551324  3457632    14%    /a
/dev/sd1s1e      3858078  1891204  1658226    53%    /b

And it makes people look at that first entry and say "huh?  it's not
in the second slice?  where is it then??"

I'm still not clear on whether or not those last patches of yours will
enable me to yank the "compatibility hacks" out of sysinstall.  I
surely would like to as it would actually simplify the code
considerably!

						Jordan