Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 00:51:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Zentner <darxpryte@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISO localization help

Greetings,

After spending probably far too much time trying to figure out how to
"internationalize" my freebsd system I'm asking for some help. For the
most part I'd like to internationalize xwindows so I can type
international characters. Here's what i've messed with so far:
in rc.conf:
keymap="us.iso.kbd"
font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"
font8x14="iso-8x14.fnt"
font8x8="iso-8x8.fnt"

in /stand/sysinstall
under keymap: (*) U.S. ISA
under config->console->font: (*) ISO 8859-1
                     keymap: (*) U.S. ISO

also I have left ctrl+left shift as my keymode change in xwindows which
does change modes, but it doesn't let me type any special characters. It
either types a few selected letters (non international) or nothing.

If anyone has any webpages, hints, manpages or something I'm missing out
on I'd love to know. I've looked at the localization stuff in the handbook
to no avail. Thanks all in advance.

-kris =)
    Kristopher Zentner           |    "Would you tell me, please, which
    Aspiring Linguist            |     way I ought to go from here?"
    FreeBSD Advocate             |    "That depends a great deal on
    kzentner@u.washington.edu    |     where you want to go." said the Cat