Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 12:51:35 -0700
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It's not fun anymore. (Mike resigns from core)

> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 06:29:10PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > On Wed, 08 May 2002 10:00:12 -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> > > Well, I think I speak for everyone in the project when I say that we're
> > > sorry to hear that you are resigning from the core team, [...]

> > Nope, you don't speak for me.  I'm thrilled that Mike's leaving the core
> > team.  His heart's obviously not in it any more, so the fact that he has
> > all the right skills for being useful on core doesn't mean anything any
> > more.

> It sounds like it is people like you who have been giving
> Mike a hard time. It also appears that you haven't learned
> a iota from this whole incident. Honestly, I would have
> rather you had kept your mouth shut and listened, this
> is not the time to spread your evil ink, but sit down
> and ponder about what went wrong here.

Uh, why the harshness??  If you read the above and think about what's written,
there's nothing "bad" there.  In fact, it appears to be a "good" message:  if
your heart is not in it, regardless of whether you have the skills, then it's
time to move on, to free up your time for doing the fun things again.  And,
after reading Mike's letter again, that is just what he is doing.

I also applaud his decision.  By leaving core he is removing himself from a
stressful environment and freeing his time to get back to doing the things he
enjoys.  Hopefully, in the near future, this will include coding for
FreeBSD-related projects once again.

Sure, it would be great if everyone could just stick around and get things
straightened out.  However, IMO, it's good to take a step back and re-evaluate
things.  Sometimes it's just not worth it anymore, and it's time to move on to
funner, more pleasant/interesting endeavours.  How's that a bad thing???

Eh, maybe I'm just too optimistic/idealistic to view any of this in a
pessimistic way.  :)

Oh, as I'm just starting out in the world of FreeBSD coding involvement, about
as far removed from core as one can get, so maybe my viewpoint is a little
skewed.  Take with as many grains of salt as required to make the above
palatable.  :)

Freddie
fcash@bigfoot.com