Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:42:08 -0400
From:      Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone following RELENG_5_2?

Freddie Cash wrote:

>> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>>> Chris wrote:
>>> How is that working out for you? (Kmail -> Thunderbird)
>
>>> I've always felt that KMail is a superior mail client, especially
>>> when it comes to IMAP, but I'd love to be able to use something that
>>> runs on Win32 too. How much mail do you manage daily, and do you use
>>> IMAP?
>
>> KMail is nice - however, for IMAP, KMail does NOT support the use of
>> email filters. (Booo) Perhaps in an upcoming release it may.
>
> I kinda like that there are no client-side filters for IMAP.  Let the
> server handle that just once, when the mail comes in, rather than
> downloading all messages, checking the filters, moving the messages
> around, and so on.  Seems like too much work for too little effort.
> The server usually has more CPU / RAM so let it handle the filtering.
> :)
>
>> The Mozilla site has a how-to if you need to "export" your email from
>> KMail. Mind you, I use the term export lightly.
>
>> It's time consuming but rather straight to the point. I did it, and I
>> am very happy I did so.  T-Bird does support IMAP (Coo) but I don't
>> use it thus far.
>
> Once you use IMAP, you'll never want to touch a POP client again.
> Having *all* of you e-mail available from anywhere, at anytime,
> without worrying about hacks like "keep a copy on the server" is
> great.  Throw a webmail client onto your IMAP server for those times
> when you don't have access to a full-blown IMAP client, and you're
> golden.  About 3 years ago, I switched to using SquirrelMail with
> UW-IMAP and Sendmail on FreeBSD.  Since then, I've moved to
> Courier-IMAP and then Cyrus-IMAP and Postfix.  Haven't lost a single
> message.  "Exporting" my messages from one server to another is as
> easy as moving messages from one folder to another.  And I never have
> to worry about "exporting" my messages to other mail clients.
>
>> The filtering is far better then KMail's (IMHO) and like you, am
>> trying to keep my mail clients even in both FreeBSD and Winders.
>
> Do the filtering on the server, and every client has the same
> filtering abilities.  :)  Whether it be a Bayesian filter, or just
> plain user-created filters using Maildrop, Procmail, or SIEVE, you
> only have to write them once ... and all mail clients see the filtered
> results.  No more struggling with getting all your mail clients to
> filter the same way, or moving your filters from one client to
> another.  Just fire up the client and you're done.
>
> My cross-platform mail client is SquirrelMail.  Any OS that has a
> TCP/IP stack and a web brower (GUI or text) lets me access my mail.
> Although I do prefer to use KMail as much as possible.

I agree whole-heartedly. We use maildrop for filtering on the server.

The reasons why I've always liked KMail better than any mozilla offerings
or other open source offerings like sylpheed are three-fold:

1.) My inbox alone has over 6000 messages. KMail handles it expertly and
    wastes minimal time on the mail I've already checked. Newer versions
    are even better at this.

    (I don't appologize for being an EMail pack-rat. I frequently find myself
    looking up a message sent to or by me from as much as three years ago.
    You don't throw away accounting data, do you? Well, IMHO, you shouldn't toss
    business related email either.)

    I also have about 200 sub-folders in which I store and categorize incoming
    mail. Everything from daily server reports, to mailing lists, to mail
    from individual staff members are filtered on the server via maildrop
    into their individual folders. KMail checks this massive folder hierarchy
    faster and more efficiently than any mail client I've ever used. Outlook
    Express is the runner up, but many things about Outlook make me cringe
    for obvious reasons. :)

2.) It's multi-threaded. I can be reading my mail while KMail is downloading
    new messages. Try that in sylpheed and all you'll get is a blank window
    for the duration of your mail download.

3.) It's pretty. I look at text all day, so I like antialiased fonts and the
    ability to provide whatever size and shape of icon and/or font I want
    to any part of the program. KMail does a nice job of this.

It has many other nice features too, like keyboard shortcuts, message threading,
etc... But those are the three big features that I can't do without.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,