Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 07:59:55 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, satoshi@freebsd.org
Cc:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auditing ports

[ Satoshi CC'ed for comment ]

Satoshi - background: The problem of auditing all 2800 ports was
raised, and was reduced to the problem of auditing those which
we patched to be set[gu]id.

Kris continues:

> A first task would be to identify _which_ ports install set[ug]id
> executables: the easiest way to do this would probably be to install every
> available package on a box at once (or do them in chunks), compile a list
> of set[gu]id files and track them back to which port they came from. We
> can then prioritize this list in terms of potential severity.

Satoshi - is there any way that your ports-building engines can help
us here by (say) spitting out some "ls -laR" lists automatically?

We'll then grep them for s[gu]id bits and do the rest.

Mark Murray