Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 06:49:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      pstewart <pstewart@oncomdis.on.ca>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux --> FreeBSD

hehehee.. I am faced with almost 100 emails this morning asking why the
switch to FreeBSD from Linux?    I'm flattered so many people
care...<kidding>.....

The reasons at this point (nothing written in stone) is that I took one
disk, inserted it into a machine, answered a few basic questions about
hardware, navigated a very easy to use (at least I thought so) menu system
asking what I wanted to do and what site to download it from etc. etc....
waited about 20 minutes and voila, one completely ready to roll Unix
system.  Then onced booted, I went to the ports collection (this ports
collection thing has to be the best invention I've ever seen, much better
than RPM on Linux in my opinion), told the server I wanted Squid and about
ten minutes later after copying my configuration from my backups I had a
fully running (apparently pretty secure also) server running a 4 gig proxy
cache.

Simple, easy and to the point.... also like the upgrade features.... I
found we spent literally hours in Linux just upgrading kernels on the
various servers, patching GCC, recompiling Apache constantly as upgrades
came out..... with FreeBSD this seems so much easier and painless.

Thanks to everyone so far for their great support.

Paul

--
Out the modem, through the SPARC, down the T3, off the router, past the
frame-relay... nothing but Net.