Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:55:17 +0100
From:      "Arno J. Klaassen" <arno@heho.snv.jussieu.fr>
To:        Martin Simmons <martin@lispworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9-stable : geli + one-disk ZFS fails

Hello,

Martin Simmons <martin@lispworks.com> writes:

> Some random ideas:
>
> 1) Can you dd the whole of ada0s3.eli without errors?
>
> 2) If you scrub a few more times, does it find the same number of errors each
> time and are they always in that XNAT.tar file?
>
> 3) Can you try zfs without geli?

yeah, and it seems to rule out geli :

[ splitted original /dev/ada0s3 in equally sized /dev/ada0s3 and
/dev/ada0s4 ]

 geli init /dev/ada0s3
 geli attach /dev/ada0s3

 zpool create zgeli /dev/ada0s3.eli

 zfs create zgeli/home
 zfs create zgeli/home/arno
 zfs create zgeli/home/arno/.priv
 zfs create zgeli/home/arno/.scito
 zfs set copies=2 zgeli/home/arno/.priv
 zfs set atime=off zgeli

[put some files on it, wait a little : ]

   [root@cc ~]# zpool status -v
   pool: zgeli
  state: ONLINE
 status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
         corruption.  Applications may be affected.
 action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
         entire pool from backup.
    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
   scan: scrub in progress since Sat Feb 18 17:46:54 2012
         425M scanned out of 2.49G at 85.0M/s, 0h0m to go
         0 repaired, 16.64% done
 config:

         NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         zgeli         ONLINE       0     0     1
           ada0s3.eli  ONLINE       0     0     2

 errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

        /zgeli/home/arno/8.0-CURRENT-200902-amd64-livefs.iso
 [root@cc ~]# zpool scrub -s zgeli
 [root@cc ~]#

[then idem directly on next partition ]

 zpool create zgpart /dev/ada0s4

 zfs create zgpart/home
 zfs create zgpart/home/arno
 zfs create zgpart/home/arno/.priv
 zfs create zgpart/home/arno/.scito
 zfs set copies=2 zgpart/home/arno/.priv
 zfs set atime=off zgpart

[put some files on it, wait a little : ]

   pool: zgpart
  state: ONLINE
 status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
         corruption.  Applications may be affected.
 action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
         entire pool from backup.
    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
   scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 1 errors on Sat Feb 18 18:04:45 2012
 config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         zgpart      ONLINE       0     0     1
           ada0s4    ONLINE       0     0     2

 errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

         /zgpart/home/arno/.scito/ ....
 [root@cc ~]#

I still do not particuliarly suspect the disk since I cannot reproduce
similar behaviour on UFS.

That said, this disk is supposed to be 'hybrid-SSD', maybe something
special ZFS doesn't like ??? :

 ada0 at ahcich0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
 ada0: <ST95005620AS SD23> ATA-8 SATA 2.x device
 ada0: Serial Number 5YX0J5YD
 ada0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
 ada0: Command Queueing enabled
 ada0: 476940MB (976773168 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)
 ada0: Previously was known as ad4
 GEOM: new disk ada0

Please let me know what information to provide more.

Best,

Arno