Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:26:07 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
Subject:   Re: which CD-R to get

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:03:12 -0500, Larry S. Marso wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 06:22:51PM -0500, Steve Friedrich wrote:
>>
>> RW media is STILL too damn expensive and WAY too much trouble.  You
>> have to erase the whole stinking thing and start over.
>
>Why?  Write-once media is $1 a piece ... and you get over 650MBs.
>Re-Writable media is less than $5 a piece.

I haven't tracked the price so close.  Last time I checked it was up
around $25/piece and I figured it had dropped since then but not as far
as you describe.  That does make it more viable.

>I've had to erase and start over with my RW's several times, getting
>the hang of things.  But once you have the procedures down, you can
>write successive sessions on an ISO-9660 multisession format CD quite
>easily, filling up every last megabyte.  And it's all available in a
>consolidated directory.

When I bought my Philips OMNIwriter, the software to support CDRW (UDP)
was still *green*.  The software was only provided for Win95 (which I
don't have 8o).  The software to *burn* CDs would also run under WinNT
(which I have). I would like to be able to use CDRW under FreeBSD if
the software is acceptable...

>Also, I understand that CD media measures it's lifetime in decades, not
>months/years.

Hmm, I think there is considerable debate here.  The Library of
Congress did a study and decided to NOT switch to CDs as archive media
because CDs would only last 10 years at most, sometimes less.  And I
think that was *stamped* CDs, not CDR media. CDR media can be destroyed
with sunlight!!  I was going to run a few tests, but haven't had time.

I think I read about these issues in CD-ROM Professional, or perhaps
one of the other CD-ROM specific mags...
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.