Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 19:01:59 -0400
From:      Jeff Evans <evans@fubar.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/1805: Bug in ftpd

Marc Slemko wrote:
> A more permanent fix to the source may be something along the lines of the
> below patch (against RELENG_2_1_5_RELEASE), but there should be an
> official fix out in the next little bit:
>

>I'm not really happy with this fix as well, but it's better than nothing.,
>The reason being that if ftp wants to dump core, it should dump core.
>If you prohibit this you'll never be able to debug any problems after
>somethuing went wrong. What should be done is make sure the buffers containing
>the sensitive info are cleared as soon as the info has been used.
>The same problem could show up with any other suid root program that reads
>the password databases. (if that is indeed the happening. It might also be
>that just the users password string is dumped only.)
>
>I'll investigate things tomorrow evening.
>
>-Guido

  At least on a FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE #0 running wu-ftp version wu-2.4(3),
an ftpd core file shows about 33 encrypted entries in a password file of 667.
  I didn't use the exact work around posted, but the following seemed to
do the job:

#!/usr/local/bin/tcsh
limit -h coredumpsize 0
exec /usr/local/ftpd/libexec/ftpd $argv

entry from /etc/inetd.conf:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/ftpd/libexec/ftpd.wrapper   ftpd

  I attempted to cause a core file using Qualicomm's qpopper2.2, but couldn't
get it to leave a core file (possibly due to insufficient quota or the working
directory being /).  Are there any other programs that use getpwnam or the
like that run as root and then switch to a user after?

Jeff

Jeff Evans - evans@msu.edu - http://clunix.cl.msu.edu/~evans