Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 14:32:08 -0500
From:      Dan Davis <warinthepocket@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS raidz pool recovery - vdev

I'm trying to recover a ZFS raidz 3x1.5TB pool. Two of the disks are
down, I'm attempting to recover at least one of those to rebuild the
pool. All disks seem to be healthy according to smartctl. I know that
generally the answer is "if the pool is corrupt, there's nothing you
can do," but seeing that zfs isn't a black box, and looking at
http://mbruning.blogspot.com/ and looking at Oracles documentation and
source, I don't think this is hopeless.

The disk I have the most hope for seems to have been overwritten by
the bios, Specifically, the first vdev label is corrupted - from what
I've read, there are 4 copies of the vdev label, I should have an
exact copy of this corrupted vdev label at the end of the disk. I'm
hoping that someone with more knowledge of zfs can help me a bit. I've
been digging through the source a little, but haven't been able to
find how zfs goes about mounting a pool - if a vdev label is corrupt
or seemingly non-existent, does zfs look for the other labels, or does
it simple fail? Should I be trying to copy one of the intact vdev
labels in place of the corrupt one?

The other corrupt disk, which I have much less hope for, was quick
formatted with NTFS in an attempt to resilver the pool... prior to
this major mistake ZFS had refused to do anything with the disk. I
asked around ##freebsd on freenode and still was unable to find a
solution. I couldn't take it out of the pool, I figured trying to wipe
it would prevent zfs from identifying the disk, and I could move
forward from there. I'm not exactly sure how, but I physically removed
the wrong disk to format - I checked atleast a dozen times with zpool
status to make sure that the pool was still functioning, and it was.
It wasn't until I reattached the disk that zfs started telling me the
truth.
Does anyone know what a "quick" NTFS format does, what data would have
been written?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dan

--
http://alpha2delta.blogspot.com/

Is it faith to understand nothing, and merely submit your convictions
implicitly to the Church?
-John Calvin