Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 97 21:49:48 +0200
From:      Ben Stuyts <benst@terminus.stuyts.nl>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can I combine P166 with a P166MMX?

Hello,

I'd like to add a second cpu to my current motherboard (a GA-586DX) and start
playing with SMP. It now has a Pentium 166 MHz on it, and these are a bit
hard to find now. 166 MMX's are no problem though. Is it possible to mix a
standard Pentium with an MMX one? FreeBSD won't be using the MMX features
anyway, I guess. (Or will it in the future? Maybe in the X server, or some
kind of multimedia app? I guess having one std and one MMX cpu might be
confusing then.)

For that matter, can I put in a 200 MHz MMX, in the assumption that I will
replace the old std 166 also with a 200 MHz MMX somewhere in the future?

Need the two cpu's be of the same mask revision?

Thanks,
Ben