Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        dean@odyssey.apana.org.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chmod

> From: Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
>
> Hiyall,
>
> I have a Member who 'accidentally' did:
>
> chmod -R 777 /usr
>
> This has apparently broken a large number of items in his system. Does
> anyone have suggestions on how to fix all of these permissions problems?
>
> Many files/programs are setuid owner or setuid group. Also, many of the
> directory permissions appear wrong also.
>
> Any ideas would be very warmly appreciated.

If you can find someone who isn't too paranoid about security issues,
or someone who knows you that is running the same version of the
system as you are, you can get them to execute

ls -lR /usr > listing
cat listing | mail you@email.address

Then write a quick perl script to set your permissions to the same
permissions as those shown in the file.  I am personally a paranoid
type, but I might be able to throw a script together to do the job for
you.