Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:24:34 -0500
From:      Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        John Martinez <rolnif@mac.com>, <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oh my god the nasa shuttle blewup

On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 08:38 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 8:07 AM -0800 2003/02/01, John Martinez wrote:
>
> 	It was almost three years after Challenger before we finally put
> another shuttle in space.  It's probably going to be two to three
> years before we launch another shuttle, assuming we do launch any more
> shuttles.

This is doubtful due to the tone in the news conferences

Remember some differences from challenger:

1.  NASA was prepared to deal with an accident this time.  Challenger
they were caught with their pants down.
2.  Everything points to a malfunction/failure not a design flaw.
3.
> 	What's going to happen to the space station in the meanwhile? What
> about the people there now?  With Russian commitment having crumbled,
> are we going to leave those people to die?  Assuming they come back
> safely, do we abandon the ISS, the way we abandoned the previous two
> space stations?

Wont happen, this is way to important to NASA, and the rest of the
world.  This is not a US project, but a world project.

> 	Moreover, just exactly how is Bush going to handle four simultaneous
> crises -- continuing to hunt down Al Qaeda, going after Sadam, dealing
> with North Korea, and now dealing with the aftermath of Columbia?
> IMO, this is the end of his presidency.  He tried to do too many
> things at the same time, and go after too many old enemies at the same
> time.

Don't say the sky is falling (sorry for the bad pun).  But I don't
think you can say that.  His speech was horrible though.  Way to cold
and too much rhetoric.  They kept playing reagans speech over and over
and listening to that then bush's.  Well lets say bush has a long way
to go imho.

>>  My heart and prayers go out to the families of the astronauts.
>
> 	Mine too.  I just hope that we can prove that there wasn't a bomb or
> sabotage involved, because otherwise we've just seen the start of
> WWIII.  The Israelis have nuclear capability, and they've never been
> shy to use any force they deem fit when they think they have enough
> evidence to convince themselves.

Yes.  It wasn't a terrorist is my gut feeling.  To have it blow up on
re-entry 200,000 feet up.  They couldnt do it with a missile - we'd
have seen it.  As for a bomb, from todays conference it doesn't sound
like that.
--Larry