Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:01:06 +0800
From:      Jarvis Cochrane <jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   >1 instance of Wine crashes

Hi,

I'm running wine 310199 (installed from the ports collection) under
FreeBSD 2.2.8.

The machine is a 486@33Mhz, 16Mb ram, 2x1Gb scsi drives, and the X
server is a nearby macintosh running MacX 2.0.

When wine is first started up, it runs fine. I've run the terminal
emulator that I _need_ and mirc 5.5.1 with it.

But the _second_ instance of wine crashes or somehow breaks the first
instance....

I thought it might be an issue with DDE support and my particular
application, but trying to run an instance of the terminal emulator
(wingrape), and an instance of mirc has the same effect. The first
instance of wine stops, and the second instance runs ok.

Running 'top,' I noticed that the first wine instance creates two
processes, but that after the second instance is started there are only
three processes. I don't know enough about the internal workings of wine
to speculate about this, but it seems odd...

I'm talking to a gentleman on the wine newsgroup about this issue as
well, and he is looking at the debug output from wine.

Has anyone run multiple instances of wine under 2.2.8?

Any ideas? anyone?

(ps - I would love to get this working, because then I can start
deleting windows from our old PCs and turning them into X terminals,
with the 'Mission critical' (ack!) terminal emulation program running in
wine under FreeBSD!)

Thanks

Jarvis