Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:19:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        dg@root.com, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

> I've got several systems around here that are nearly
> impossible to determine what rev is on them because they all say
> 2.2-STABLE, even though some of them are from the 2.2.0 time frame,
> and others are 2 hours old.  If I can't tell the difference, then
> autoconfig scripts that use uname can't either.

Ah, but that's a different problem (and one I raised a couple of weeks ago).

There should be some easy way (perhaps through "uname") to know where
along the STABLE continuum a particular system resides.

+---------------
| FreeBSD freebie.dcfinc.com 2.1-STABLE FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE #0:
| Wed May 21 21:44:12 MST 1997
| chad@freefall.anasazi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/FREEBIE i386
I had suggested incrementing the number after the octithorpe (the #0
above).  I was told that number gets incremented if you rebuild your
kernel, which may be true but doesn't address the problem.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com