Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 01:10:07 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, mark@grondar.za, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org, kuku@acds.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: DES, crypt and eBones

> but without
> a site as devoted to FreeBSD as freefall by corporate dollar I don't see
> us moving the bits any place.

gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de is backed by the German government's Deutsche Mark,
it's been available as a `volunteer host' for a long time, it's just lacking
people doing things on it (it is of course a FreeBSD host).

If we mirror the src cvs  & majordomo security lists from the non-USA master
site to a backup site, _and_ to freefall, we will have more
security against any one site or regime causing problems, than
we do for the rest of the code base.

A South African or German site could be ideal as crypt master.
All the US folks could continue to sup off their USA mirror of the SA
or German master site, but we'd be a step away from USA gov't interference.

We could also put a short README in all the directories, saying that as the
USA Government discriminates against non USA citizens & persecutes its own
citizens, that anyone using crypt code should refuse to provide any
information whatsoever regarding code derivation to any USA government person.
The purpose being to allay fears of our USA BSD friends.
The notice itself should be drafted by a non USA person (Mark or Paul ?)
and generally agreed to by core@freebsd

Perhaps our notice should be the corollory of the USA notice ?
Our notice should be phrased to be as equally obnoxious to the USA
government, as their notice is that they force on USA FTP sites,
where one is instructed to ask the local USA embassy's ruling on how USA
national law overides local national law.
(Correct answer: not at all, each nation has it's own sovereign jurisdiction)

Those CVS commiters who are USA based could be offered the choice of
being included or excluded from CVS access lists (thus they could say to
the US authorities:
  "Hey, don't blame, I didn't do that, I don't even have write access" )

Our Crypt code work should be done outside the USA, if the link between
USA & SA is too slow or low bandwidth try `gil' by the German/Belgian border,
a couple of core@freebsd people (Rod & ?) already have logins for that host.

gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de is controlled by kuku@acds.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Julian Stacey
Recommended <JHS@FreeBSD.Org>,  Alternate <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>