Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 14:42:16 -0500
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Patch] Ports and rsync

On 09/16/2012 01:47 PM, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:
> On 09/16/12 03:42 AM CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
>> I've submitted ports/171681[1] with a
>> patch to add rsync to the list of
>> update methods for the ports tree. Hopefully I'm not the
>> only one who
>> desires such functionality.

> Could this substitute for .svn for those who now use csup? Or is
> it maybe specific to a local network and nothing upstream. Not
> clear the implications, here, or entire scenario of this rsync
> methodology (I use it readily for a whole bunch of other stuff.)
>  But
> I look forward to its implementation... if it occurs.

To my knowledge, the FreeBSD foundation does not offer rsync services
for ports, though nothing stops anyone from actually doing so; I run one
of my own, updated via portsnap, with a custom overlay for ports that
haven't much usefulness outside of my domain. It seems the easiest
approach, without having to learn the intricacies of creating and
maintaining custom portsnap hosts or trying to set up and feed a
subversion server to host my changes.

This patch just offers an easy way to invoke rsync via 'make update'
without having to dig out the magical rsync invocation flags every time.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/