Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:53:20 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UnixBench 4.0.1 results on Linux and FreeBSD

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 01:29:35AM +0200, Rasmus Skaarup wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did some benchmarking one machine with both FreeBSD and Linux as the
> OS, and got the following results..
<results snipped>
> I know this doesn't mean that Linux rulez, but why does FreeBSD perform
> under 1/4 of when Linux was installed in the filesystem tests?

A default linux install uses async mounts, a default FreeBSD install
uses sync mounts which is much slower but gives better chances when
recovering from a crash. To speed up the FreeBSD file performance without
reverting to a 'dangerous' async mount you could enable softupdates.

I'm not sure however if this explains all of the 1/4... I would be interested
to know.

Karel.