Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:30:27 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: www/libxul: fails to compile with CLANG and fails to install with GCC

On 09/19/12 22:09, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 03:50:45PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> I already filed a PR (ports/171566) regarding the CLANG compilation
>> issue, but since CLANG is a troublemaker for several ports, I also used
>> USE_GCC=4.6 to compile the port www/libxul and this works - but fails
>> then installing with
>>
>> [...]
>>   adding: hyphenation/hyph_hu.dic (deflated 62%)
>> /usr/ports/www/libxul/work/mozilla-esr10/dist/bin/xpcshell: Undefined
>> symbol "JSVAL_NULL"
>> gmake[1]: *** [install] Error 1
>> gmake[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/usr/ports/www/libxul/work/mozilla-esr10/xulrunner/installer'
>> gmake: *** [install] Error 2
>> *** [gecko-pre-install] Error code 2
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/www/libxul.
>> *** [install] Error code 1
>
> Hmm.  Sounds like a miscompile.  If you're up for an experiment, I'd be
> interested in the results of applying the linked patch and building
> with USE_GCC=4.2.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/patches/really-use-gcc.diff
>
> It turns out that USE_GCC incorrectly assumes that CC/CPP/CXX don't need
> to be changed when the requested version of gcc is in the base system.
>
> -- Brooks

Hello Brooks.

The port www/libxul does now compile with option USE_GCC=4.6+. I needed
to remove the former config via "make rmconfig" first. Something went
wrong on two FBSD10 boxes when the update was performed automatically
and the config remained "old".

It still fails compiling with CLANG.

If you still want me to do the experiment, please give me a note.

Regards,
Oliver