Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
To:        scottl@samsco.org (Scott Long)
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
Subject:   Re: speed of a ciss-based pseudo-disk

> Are you asking that someone go implement a 'nominal' speed tester in
> the kernel that will accurately determine the speed of each attached
> storage device?

Scott, I'm asking about a nominal number. If my controller can not talk
to the attached drives at U320 and negotiates down to lower speeds, I'd
like to know about it.

No "speed testers" need to be written for nominal numbers. That, sort
of, is the whole point of something being _nominal_. It does not need to
be measured, it is (usually) simply written somewhere or easily deduced
from something else.

If, as Paul Saab responded, even the nominal number is unobtainable for
HP/Compaq arrays -- fine. The driver's output confused me, so I asked
about its meaning.

> Would you demand your money back if the number reported was wrong? Why
> does it matter?

I don't see, how this question is relevant, but yes, if the cable sold
to me as a U320 is only capable of U160, I certainly will ask for my
money back.

> Your SCSI busses are running at Ultra320, and that is that.

How do you know?

Do you, actually, see _value_ in your two responses in this thread so
far? I'm sure you were trying to help...

	-mi