Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 2004 02:40:29 +0000
From:      Dima Dorfman <dd@freebsd.org>
To:        Jon Adams <jkadams@computer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7), FreeBSD 5.1 i386 installation questions

[Jon Adams]
> >>bash-2.04$ ./setup_stubs.sh
> >>Setting up patch files...done.
> >>Patching makefiles as necessary:

> >>Rebuilding client shared library...ld: cannot find -ldl

[Dima Dorfman]
> >You should be compiling and running everything Oracle-related under
> >Linux emulation, and if you installed the linux_devtools port, you
> >should have libdl in /compat/linux/lib. I suspect that either you
> >aren't running under Linux emulation or that you don't have that port
> >installed.

[Jon Adams]
> I do have libdl

> do I need to put a -L somewhere in the oracle files, do I need to modify
> my LD_INCLUDE_PATH ?

/lib is almost certainly already in the library path. The most likely
explanation is that the compiler (or linker, or whatever is trying to
access libdl) isn't running under Linux emulation. Even if you start
something from a compat shell, it can break out of the emulator if
something tries to run a FreeBSD binary. We need to find the command
that it's trying to run when it fails. Find the script that it's in (it
might be setup_stubs, but it might be another one) and run it with the
-x option to sh to show the commands being executed. After you find the
command, try executing it manually (in the right directory), and if it
still doesn't work, look for the offending FreeBSD binary (it might be
executed indirectly as an interpreter, for example).

Dima.