Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:12:21 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        brownie@earthling.net
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quad Pro 150 motherboard?

In message <33659138.D27@earthling.net>, Chris Browning writes:
>> >The PPro's are stackable without additional electronics external
>> >to the processor.  This makes it a *lot* easier to do multiple
>> >CPU's up to large numbers.
>>
>> The original design was for up to four PP's to be stackable.
>> Unfortunately it transpired to not be the case (for reasons
>> for signal integrity I belive, and therefore 4*PP cards have
>> a number of buffers more than 2*PP cards.
>
>What are you talking about here?  I have never heard anything about
>having to add buffers for > 2 PPP designs.  Can you point to a
>PPP errata for this?  I think someone has misinformed you.
>
>Chris

Well, I talked to a couple of people who did speak for Intel, they said
that it was close to impossible to get four PP to work on a "plain"
PC motherboard, you would have to do the daughterboard+buffer thing...

The reasons stated was "termal, electrical & practical"...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.