Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:16:18 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Hi Lev Serebryakov!

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:37:00 +0400; Lev Serebryakov wrote about 'Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve':

>> 3. Kernel features for complex network solutions (netgraph, carp, ipfw).
>>    The niche for routers & traffic analysis is still ours. It would be
>>    nice to take e.g. pfSense and agree with some vendor (Netgear,
>>    D-Link, etc) to put on sale hardware with FreeBSD inside.
>   What about 10G routing? Here are reports about full-bandwidth 10G routing on modern
> Intel NICs with Linux (and multi-core server), but I didn't see any
> such data for FreeBSD, and somebody says, that Intel drivers and
> network stack is not so good parallel in FreeBSD.

"Too narrow is their circle, so terribly far they are from people".

The 10G routing is definetely not a critical FreeBSD problem, actual
for broad user masses. What percentage of even Linux users do have it?

I am currently working as admin of small Linux HPC cluster - MPI,
Infiniband, you know, 10G/40G. That area is unknown to average Linux user:
all that they know is that Linux is used on such computers (Top-500), but
that's all, just a bit of proudness, not something real. When they come
to me try to use it there is little help for them that's Linux too :-)
Everyday needs are very different.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
[Anti-Greenpeace][Sober FreeBSD zealot][http://nuclight.livejournal.com]