Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 01:09:46 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@simplenet.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP & buildworld

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> [mergemaster]
> > I personally prefer to do it by hand. One slip of the finger and
> > mergemaster has removed a file you do not want to loose...
>
> mergemaster will only remove files in the temproot. The most harm
> you can do is overwriting a customized file under /etc with the
> distributed version. This is also a non-issue if you make a backup
> copy of /etc beforehand.

	Quite right.

> I'm considering porting mergemaster to OpenBSD.

	If you do, please let me know what has to be changed, and perhaps we can
work together on making it more cross-platform. I've never run either of
the other 'BSD's, so I'm not really familiar with the issues there, but
hard disk is cheap nowadays... :)

	Thanks to everyone who contributed helpful comments and kind words about
the script in this thread.

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"