Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:13:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        drdavis@calderasystems.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape Bus Error

In article <37F0DC3D.7F4A969D@calderasystems.com>,
Darren R. Davis <drdavis@calderasystems.com> wrote:

> I believe that a Bus Error is specifically referencing miss aligned
> data vs segmentation violation (SIGSEGV) which is accessing data
> that is either free'd or not yours, etc.

That was the traditional distinction, but it's different on
FreeBSD/i386.  SIGSEGV means you accessed memory that is unmapped.
SIGBUS means you accessed memory that is mapped, but protected
(unwritable and/or unreadable).  To further confuse matters,
FreeBSD/alpha generates SIGSEGV for both cases.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron