Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2018 15:41:22 +1000
From:      Trevor Roydhouse <trev@sentry.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   RPi2B and FreeBSD 11-STABLE boot failure

I installed:

FreeBSD rpi2.sentry.org 11.2-STABLE FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE #0 r336133: Mon
Jul  9 20:12:49 UTC 2018
root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI2  arm

and my RPi2B could no longer boot when the two USB memory keys were also
plugged in.

The sdcard kept being assigned as disk2, with the USB memory keys taking
up disk0 and disk1, and then the system would unsuccessfully try booting
  from disk0 and finding no kernel file as that happened to be the /usr
file system.

After much google-fu, the workaround I found was to halt the boot at the
uboot loader prompt (you have two seconds) and then:

setenv loaderdev disk2
saveenv
boot

The above creates a persistent uboot.env file, so no manual intervention
is needed again (unless the number of USB memory keys changes).

It used to work previously without this workaround <shrug>.