Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2017 16:55:03 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chicken/egg problem with pkg

--xOVVbMmGIUvf4XKutkPHwbcSE7g7rjV7j
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org

--VjTeC8IAmq1IfeUcfF9QWhlDq22Hq5pQv

On 12/03/2017 12:03, Hans de Hartog wrote:

> But then some problems came up:
>  - different versions op php are installed

pkg(8) should sort this out for you -- the default version in the ports
changed at some point, but pkg should be smart enough to swap in the
equivalent packages from the newer default version of php.  Occasionally
it may delete an old php package without replacing it, which generally
indicates that nothing depended on that php module.  At least, nothing
that pkg(8) knew about.

>  - gkrellmd won't start (libkvm.so.6 not found)
>  - (and this is the worst) pkg doesn't work: libssl.so.7 not found

These indicate a mismatch between the OS Major version and the version
those packages were compiled against.  It will be cured when you
reinstall all your packages according to the upgrade instructions.

> During the forced upgrade of all packages I saw that an attempt was mad=
> to downgrade
> pkg to 1.9.something and I also saw that a POST_INSTALL failed for some=

> reason.
> Any recommendations?

The default is to use the quarterly package sets, but you seem to have
managed to get the very latest version of pkg installed.

You could try switching to the latest packages.  Create a file

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

with the contents:

FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }

Check that has been registered by running 'pkg -vvv' If everything is
correct, run:

   pkg update -f

and after that, try updating again.

	Cheers,