Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:00:34 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/42704: Numerous ports problems on 4.7 PRERELEASE

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:47:50PM -0400, Michael R. Wayne wrote:

>> >Clean machine, CVSUP src and ports, install 4.7 PRERELEASE,
>> >insure /usr/X11R6 not in your path.
>> >Try to install almost any x11 tool.  My current path is:
>> >path    (/usr/local/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/sbin /sbin /usr/sbin)
>>
>> 1. Use a real shell.
>> 2. Whatever shell you use, add /usr/X11R6/bin to your PATH.
>
>Basically, my startup files root around on the system when I log
>in and "do the right thing" about setting up paths.  If  /usr/X11R6/bin
>does not exist when I log in, then it's not going to be in my path.
>Note that I did mention starting on a clean machine.

That's not the way the ports build system works. It uses $PATH.

If you'd like to change 7000 ports's Makefiles, be my guest to
submit the PRs. And hope no binaries ever move.

Just unconditionally add it to your path, or mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/bin
as root; it's that easy.

We know we should have this in the skeleton files, but that wouldn't
help you since you have your own startup file.

The bottom line is the build system using PATH isn't gonna change,
so you have to adapt to it. Believe me, that's one of the mildest
deficiencies in ports. If you want to bitch, complain about the lack
of conflict management, as that's a real problem, and we don't have
a solution committed for that yet, either. (Just kidding, don't
bitch about that, we KNOW.)

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.