Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 00:23:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Greg Brandow <gbrandow@hvi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freeBSD vs BSDI

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Greg Brandow wrote:

> We currently use BSDI 3.0 and are looking for a free PC-based UNIX system.
> Since BSDI was our first taste of UNIX, I'd like something similar.

You've come to the right place.  :)

> How close is FreeBSD to BSDI?

Very.  While I can't speak for BSDI 3.0 since we dumped it at
2.whatever.it.was, the main difference I saw was that many of the
FreeBSD commands had many more options than their BSDI
counterparts.

Every BSDI binary that we attempted to run on FreeBSD ran, though
we did have to copy some of the shared libraries.  Our password
files were originally from BSDI so we had to compile FreeBSD to
handle the 16 character usernames.

When we tried to alias an IP from a different Class C then the
primary address, on several different Ethernet cards in several
different BSDI machines, every one of them would loose all their
routes and go incommunicado within 5 to 15 minutes.  We've since
had a FreeBSD box happily live on two Class Cs with one NIC for
233 days.  It probably would have been over 250 by now but I had
to add some hardware in that box.

> Where do Linux and Red Hat Linux figure in the equation.

I had a Slackware box set up for about a month to 'borrow' some
driver code.  Coming from a BSD background, it's "different".
Not one frown was seen in the NOC the day I put a FreeBSD boot
disk into that box.  :)

> We are an ISP and are primarily looking for something to test websites and
> scripts.

For those purposes, I wouldn't consider any flavor of Linux.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null