Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:56:16 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>
Cc:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>, James A Wilde <james.wilde@tbv.se>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can I install FREEBSD on windows NT

--ZcaUvQ23gCOmDTXi

Troy Settle wrote:

> It was the "stationary" that was used by the original poster.

So why on God's earth does everybody copy it when replying?  Another of
Microsoft's "ideas", I guess.

> Might I ask what that "ATT00033.DAT" attachment was on your email?

That was a PGP/MIME signature.  This is a standard, defined in RFC 2015,
and it is useful unlike the Microsoft "stationary" crap which has no use
whatsoever and is not any sort of standard.  If your MUA can't handle
PGP/MIME I suggest you find a MUA which is little less outdated.

> C'mon people, my MUA (Outlook 2k) can handle text, html, rtf, and
> other messages just fine.  But it's simply rude to keep tossing around
> these mime messages.  Perhaps we should petition the maintainers of
> the freebsd lists to apply some rules to reject any message with
> attachments or mime types other than text/plain.

No, some attachments are useful.  PGP/MIME signatures for one.  I've
probably attached small patches or C source files in messages to this
list (they may well be text/plain though, I'm not sure).  I think the
only messages which need banning are multipart/alternative.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D

--ZcaUvQ23gCOmDTXi

--ZcaUvQ23gCOmDTXi--