Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 01:24:48 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

> Now, I'm asking myself what to tell to Linux users that are asking me...

Mmmm... lot of answers already, but I'm going to put in my 2 yens
anyway.

> 1. Why Linux has bash as default and FreeBSD csh? They want "command
> history" with ARROWS, not with "!".

Because there is no need to bloat the system with a software that:

1) Can be easily installed.
2) Is not a consensus.
3) Has a license with cooties.

> 2. Why Linux has "ls-color" by default and FreeBSD doesn't? [please excuse
> me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen FreeBSD since 30 months ago, I can't
> install it now, only Linux boxes are available here and for the moment I
> don't own a PC!]

Because there isn't need to bloat the system with a software that:

1) Can be easily installed.
2) Is not a consensus (there are at least two "color" ls available).

> 3. What is the performance loss when running Linux apps under emulation in
> FreeBSD [assuming no sources are available].

I don't think anyone was ever able to measure that. The difference
in performance, one way _and_ another, between the two systems
because of their natural differences far exceeds the difference in
performance due to emulation.

To be able to measure it, we would have to test a emulated
application versus the same application compiled with the same
options using the same compiler for FreeBSD. And what would be the
point in that?

The difference in speed of that application, one way _and_ another,
between a Linux box and a FreeBSD box is due to the difference in
"speed" between the two OS.

> 4. Why _nobody_ is making a site like "http://www.linuxapps.com/" for the
> *BSD system(s) in order to find easier apps?

I haven't checked the site you mentioned, but is it in anyway
different from either our ports web page or our FreeBSD resources on
freebsdmall?

> Even images with the BSD daemon are impossible to find in sizes and formats
> that would make them suitable for a wallpaper or something like that...

We do have, though, a large collection of splash screens... :-)
Perhaps you did not search in the right places? What, anyway, is
your definition of "suitable for a wallpaper"? I like full-screen
wallpapers, 800x600 (for notebooks) or 1024x768 and over for
desktops. Other people might prefer images suitable for tiling. What
is your taste, exactly?

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Your usefulness to my realm ended the day you made it off Hustaing
alive."
		-- Sun Tzu Liao to his ex-finacee, Isis Marik