Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 01:07:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and ThinkPad

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Mike Smith wrote:
>

> > To start with, does it have more than 64M of memory?  At least some of
> > the stinkpads have problems with our speculative memory probes.
>
> Yeah, 128MB. I've put "MAXMEM" into kernel config file, and it seemed to
> help. But overall, I'm really less than pleased with this sucker. One
> thing is the BIOS which requires Windows to configure anything
> significant, the other thing is built-in softmodem (which of course will
> not work). My impression is that under the hood this machine is not quite
> a PC, but WinIBM or something :-(

So I have a ThinkPad 560E (well, two of them actually :) for work on Coda;
I've found that there is a config program from IBM that runs on a single
DOS bootable DOS floppy that is certainly preferable to keeping windows
around.  On the other hand, this machine doesn't have a soft modem so I
don't have to deal with that.

When I returned the first to them for repairs, they unfortunately upgraded
the BIOS :( making it go from XiG-APM-HAPPY to XiG-APM-CRANKY in which it
doesn't like to restore the delay if X was running when it suspended.
Curiously, the second machine to be returned, be upgraded against my
instructions, and come back seems to work fine.  I speculate another
version of the BIOS, but am not sure how to verify that.

Try IBM's web page for the DOS configurator.  It may be that it could run
under doscmd if it were given access to the right IO ports; it's a purely
text program in the style of a boring UNIX utility without even curses.
I haven't tried yet.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/