Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:55:52 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup/make

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:11:02PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Ray Kohler <rkohler1@cox.rr.com> types:
> > On Tuesday 15 January 2002 03:25 pm, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com> types:
> > > Not reliably. That's why the documented method is to do the whole
> > > thing all over again.
> [...]
> > > Be warned: [...]
> > > installed. If you have any problems *at all* after updating via
> > > "make install", do a "make world" to build the system with the
> > > proper toolset before bothering to report it.
> > I just wanted to point out (to both the asker and the answerer)
> > that this "make install" thing is certainly not a supported thing
> > to do (i. e., you can do it if you want but if Weird Things Happen
> > then most people will just say "I told you so.")
>
> That's only half correct. "make install" isn't a supported way to
> upgrade your system. However, it's a supported way to rebuild and
> install userland after you go through and make changes to various
> parts of the system (*).
>
> > No rudeness/pedantry intended, but I couldn't think of a "nice" way
> > to say it and I was virtually gasping in horror at someone being
> > advised to do the equivalent of "voiding the warranty."
>
> I don't think you were either. In fact, I like "voiding the warranty"
> as a description of what this does. That's why I provided the warning
> about "if you do this and something breaks, do it the supported way
> before reporting it." I wouldn't have provided that advise if they
> hadn't asked about methods other than the one covered by the warranty.
>
> 	<mike
>
> *) Changing system sources on your own also "voids your warranty", of
> course
> --

Perhaps like FORBIDDEN PORTS, (I always feel like a criminal when I
see I am trying to build a forbidden port), the user should get a
message if he tries this.

"You are about to do something that voids your warranty. This means
you will be shunned by your peers, messages you send will be ignored,
rumours about your criminal negligence will be spread through every
corner of the internet. No-one will call you anymore, you will only
dare go out after dark in heavy disguise. Your spouse will leave you,
your children will despise you. Waiters will not server you at Joe's
Diner anymore. You will be forced to wear a pointed hat with "DUMMY"
written on it and to sit alone in the corner. Your whizzy computer
will be confiscated and replaced by a 386 running Windows 3.11 in
a perpetual blue-screen loop, you will be tied to a chair and forced
to look at it for several hours a day. In general, every day, will be
a bad-hair one.

--
Regards
Cliff