Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:27:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

mark shamrock wrote:

> hello everyone.i have ONE more question for you.i finally got my sound
> card to work.but i was wondering,,which device do you use to play .wav
> sound files.i know you use /dev/audio for .au files.
>
> anyone know if there is a piece of software availabe that will take care
> of playing different kinds of sounds for you?

You want to install the sox package.  It'll convert from .wav to .au,
allowing you to play a .wav through `/dev/audio', using this command line:

        sox file.wav -t au - >/dev/audio

where file.wav is the WAV file to be played.  Sox is typically available as
a port or a package.  Check your CD-ROM or pull it down from ftp.freebsd.org.

> also is it possible to record sounds with freebsd then play them back?

I've done this, again using `sox' to convert and manipulate what came off
the microphone.  I no longer have the script I used to use, though, and
anyway I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do it than the method I was
using.

-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
They just buzzed and buzzed.....buzzed.