Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:36:16 +0000
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Booting ELF kernel

I put the line "/boot/loader" in /boot.conf just like the docs said
(http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html).  However, I couldn't enter
"-c" to enter userconfig to configure the kernel.  When I entered -c at
the "boot: " prompt, it didn't go into UserConfig mode, but continued
booting (without me being able to configure the kernel).

Also, how should rc.conf be handled in the case of an ELF kernel?  I
still need to load the screensavers, which are LKMS, something AFAIK an
ELF system doesn't support.  This is handled by rc.conf.  But what would
I need to do in order to enable something like a screensaver with an ELF
kernel?

BTW, there's a line in /usr/src/etc/defaults/rc.conf that states
"rc.conf" is part of "rc_conf_files", which causes rc.conf to continue
sucking in rc.conf in an infinite loop until the system runs out of file
descriptors.

Donn