Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2022 21:37:03 -0500
From:      Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@interlog.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gerrit Kuehn <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom 3808 support

On 2022-01-10 4:40 p.m., Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 22:22:30 +0100, Gerrit Kuehn wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:31:51 -0500
>> "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Ken,
>>
>>> To put it in different words, what Sreekanth was trying to say in the
>>> message linked above is that Broadcom commits their driver changes
>>> directly to the FreeBSD source tree.  So, "inbox" means the driver is
>>> "in the OS box", as it would have been back in the days when you
>>> bought an OS from a store on CDROM.
>>>
>>> They used to provide an "out of box" driver that you could download on
>>> their web site, but they don't provide that anymore.  They'll just
>>> tell you it works with FreeBSD as-is, so the downloadable driver
>>> isn't needed.
>>
>> Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I found downloadable drivers and
>> firmware quite handy in the past as a fall-back option in case the one
>> bundled with the OS didn't work properly (had to do that once or twice,
>> but that was something like 10y+ ago).
>>
>>> The last time they added PCI IDs to the mpr(4) driver was in December
>>> 2018. So, FreeBSD 12.3 or 13.0 should work with it, as would a number
>>> of earlier releases.  If you want a precise answer, that will take
>>> more digging through the tree to figure out.  You would need to look
>>> at sys/dev/mpr/mpr_pci.c in the branch you're interested in.
>>
>> That's already everything I wanted to know, actually. Thank you very
>> much again.
>> I had looked into the source tree of the mpr driver in 13.0, but
>> somehow failed to find references to the 3808 chipset (just had looked
>> for "3808" as a string, which isn't there, in contrast to 3816 - but
>> maybe that was a too shallow idea on my side :-). The 38* chipsets also
>> aren't mentioned in the mpr manpage at all - maybe that one isn't
>> up-to-date then (although it claims to be from June 1, 2019 here)?
>
> Yes, it looks like Steve McConnell (who used to be the Broadcom maintainer,
> but moved to their firmware group) was the last one to update the list of
> supported devices in 2017.
>
> So the man page is indeed out of date.
>
> The mpr(4) driver supports all of their 12Gb SAS (non-RAID) chips as far
> as I know.
>
> I think the last two digits of their SAS chip and board model names are
> the number of SAS lanes.

Any word of SAS-4 support from Broadcomm?

I have a Adaptec (Microsemi) HBA 1200 (PCIe 4 SAS-4(/NVMe/SATA)) and this page:
   https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/sas/sas/aha-1200-8i/

references a "SmartPQI 64-bit Driver for FreeBSD 11, 12 & 13". Has anyone
tested that driver? The hardware seems to work fine on Linux. One new feature
(that I had not seen previously) is that the HBA itself presents a SES device
internally (i.e. it can't be seen by on another initiator connected to the
same expander).

 From the machine with the HBA 1200 installed I see:

# sg_ses -af /dev/sg3
   Adaptec   Smart Adapter     0107
   Primary enclosure logical identifier (hex):
Internal Device  [0,-1]  Element type: Array device slot
   Enclosure Status:
     Predicted failure=0, Disabled=0, Swap=0, status: OK
Controller Temperature Sensors   [1,-1]  Element type: Temperature sensor
   Enclosure Status:
     Predicted failure=0, Disabled=0, Swap=0, status: OK
     Temperature=35 C
emc_1414_int:0:0:Inlet Ambient   [1,0]  Element type: Temperature sensor
   Enclosure Status:
     Predicted failure=0, Disabled=0, Swap=0, status: OK
     Temperature=29 C
emc_1414_ext1:1:1:Chip ASIC      [1,1]  Element type: Temperature sensor
   Enclosure Status:
     Predicted failure=0, Disabled=0, Swap=0, status: OK
     Temperature=35 C
emc_1414_ext2:2:2:Vendor define  [1,2]  Element type: Temperature sensor
   Enclosure Status:
     Predicted failure=0, Disabled=0, Swap=0, status: OK
     Temperature=30 C
emc_1414_ext3:3:3:Vendor define  [1,3]  Element type: Temperature sensor
   Enclosure Status:
     Predicted failure=0, Disabled=0, Swap=0, status: OK
     Temperature=34 C

So it has 4 different temperature sensors on the card! Those figures are with
a fan attached to its heatsink. Without that fan (and with no other air blowing
on that card), I have seen temperatures above 70C. So a fan is needed (as
MicroSemi recommend).

Doug Gilbert