Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 19:27:21 +0100
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        "Ciro Maietta" <geminidominoubermensch@yahoo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DHCP and DNS hostname resolution: A better way?

On Sunday 09 December 2001 9:18 am, Ciro Maietta wrote:
> I'm running a FreeBSD 4.2 - Release (until I can figure out how to make
> decent backups before going STABLE) firewall/DHCP server. I've got named
> and dhcpd running just fine and dandy (named is local only, outside access
> is blocked totally in ipfw.rules) but with one snafu.  Several of my
> clients are laptops that I and a few other users on the network bring
> between our respective home networks and the college network, all of which
> operate a dhcp server (to prevent reconfiguring whenever we travel).
>
> According to dhcpd.leases, dhcpd can pick up the hostname of the client
> when an ip is leased (the line 'client-hostname: HOST' shows up in the
> lease file), but  the clients can only be referenced by IP. i.e. 'ping
> ASGARD' returns "Cannot resolve host: ASGARD" whereas pinging the IP works
> fine. So far, I have only come across two ways that I can make this work.
> One is assigning IP/Hostname depending on MAC address, and the other is
> using a script (probably perl, in my case) to parse the dhcpd.leases file
> and dynamically create /etc/hosts (and I have my doubts on whether that
> would even actually WORK!). My question is this: Since dhcpd obviously
> KNOWS the clients' hostnames, is there any way to reference the clients
> without hard-coding the information in?
>
> Sorry if I seem masochistic, but the path of least resistance also reaps
> the least satisfaction. :)

bind9  and dynamic dns is the path of greatest resistance ;-) and clearly
most fun......

yes hacking the hosts file via the leases file would work, but then you have
to distribute the new hosts file to all the machines involved :-(

I personally use the  hardware ethernet / fixed address approach even though
I am using bind9 simply because I haven't made time to fix it and there are
only half a dozen machines involved.

New Years Resolutions :-

I will implement secure DDNS  in the first two weeks of January...work
permitting.
I will stop smoking
I will drink less
I will exercise more...sorry that should read :  I will exercise.

hhmm....  well maybe I'll  hit one out of four
--
The Great Movie Posters:

They hungered for her treasure!  And died for her pleasure!
SEE Man-Fish Battle Shark-Man-Killer!
		-- The Golden Mistress (1954)

See Jane Russell in 3-D; She'll Knock Both Your Eyes Out!
		-- The French Line (1954)

See Jane Russell Shake Her Tamborines... and Drive Cornel WILDE!
		-- Hot Blood (1956)