Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:31:09 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware not recognized

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 12:22:21PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> 	Recently, I replaced the NICs on a machine (old card was slow
> and throwing errors).  Per good reviews, I went with Intel.
> 	However: the card is not recognized on boot, and I get:
>
> none0@pci0:12:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x118a8086 chip=0x10798086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = '82546EB Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
>     class      = network
>     subclass   = ethernet
>
> 	If I explicitly load if_em via loader.conf, everything's fine.
> 	I'm guessing the identification codes aren't in the right
> list.  Who do I talk to about this?
> 	(By the way, count me as a converted true believer in em-based
> NICs.)

Do you have 'device em' in you kernel config ?  If you don't you will
of course have to load if_em as a module via loader.conf.
('device em' should be in GENERIC, but if you have customized your kernel
you might not have it.)

If it is not that simple you will probably need to give more information,
like which version of FreeBSD you are using, because normally there should
be no difference between having a driver directly in the kernel or loaded as
a module.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson