Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 16:53:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.dialix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what's going on here? (NFSv3 problem?)

On 19 Jul 1995, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Some time in the last few weeks, doing a ls on a large NFS mounted
> directory..  It looks like the server is answering with the wrong
> offset, but it used to work and the server hasn't changed lately
> (like, years...  It's a vintage SVR4.0/386 system.)
>
> The freebsd client has it mounted with a read and write size of 1024,
> which struck me as odd that it appears to be asking for a 8192 byte
> chunk...  It works fine with directory scans of smaller directories..
>
> And yes, I'm just about to run fsirand on the server.. :-)
>
> Puzzled, (I don't speak NFS, so please be gentle.. ;-)
> -Peter

I just checked and it appears that the size used for readdir requests
(NFS_DIRBLKSIZE) has increased from 1024 to 4096 in the nfsv3 change.  I
am not sure why though.  It is also a bit confusing that you are seeing
8k readdir requests - from the looks of it, they should be 4k.

Try reducing NFS_DIRBLKSIZE in <nfs/nfs.h> to 1024 and see if it fixes
your problem.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411